Today is officially the end of my 2nd trimester and intro into my third. I am 27 weeks along, which is just WILD. Baby Boy will be here in less than 13 weeks.
- Italian food. Carbs basically. I just craved lots of bread, chips….anything like that. I always want a sweet treat after dinner.
- I am also still really into Mexican food and also baked potatoes especially from Pappadeaux’s. Theirs are the best.
- Mexican Food and Chicken Fingers.
- I dislike all the good things. Vegetables. Sometimes even the site of raw chicken makes me ill. I pray Baby B does not just want to eat chicken strips like me for his entire life.
- Hot Dogs – Gross right? There is this amazing gourmet hot dog place in the Heights and I literally DREAM about those hot dogs.
- Back Pain. Back Pain. Back Pain. I sat with the heating pad on my lower back quite often during the second trimester.
- HEARTBURN! OH MY GAAWWWWWD. The struggle was real. My doc told me to use TUMS. I had just been toughing it out but he recommended up to 4 tums a day. I try to take them at night when my heartburn is worse. Thankfully my doctor prescribed me a heartburn medication to take daily and this is the ONLY thing that works.
- Around 19 Weeks I started to get HORRIBLE round ligament pain. I could barely stand up straight. Sometimes it would last for hours, but other times it would only last for a few hours.
- Round Ligament Pain: “Round ligament pain is a sharp pain or jabbing feeling often felt in the lower belly or groin area on one or both sides. It is one of the most common complaints during pregnancy and is considered a normal part of pregnancy. It is most often felt during the second trimester.” Source
- Hormones – Mine are pretty out of control. My emotions this trimester were all over the place. I know its normal, but it is still pretty frustrating and I know its not only frustrating for me, but all those in my path.
- Around week 9, I started to get my energy back slowly. During my second trimester, I had LOTS of energy, which was good.
- My weight gain was minimal. My doctor is so sweet and makes me feel so good about my weight. He says I have tiny ankles which makes him happy. HA He said I am a bigger girl which makes it all good for birthing. He is really happy with my progress. When I went in for my 16 week appointment, he only wanted me to gain about a pound a week until my next appointment at 20 weeks. I stuck to that and did really well.
- A positive at week 19, was feeling Bennett move for the first time. It was Sunday November 19, 2017 and I had been dealing with round ligament pain the entire day. I barely left the couch, but I was scheduled to sing at church that evening and so kept my commitment even though I was in SO much pain. When I got home that evening, I was laying in bed and felt very hard and distinct kicks for the first time.
- At 26 weeks I can say, I am officially pregnant. The bump is out and not going away.
The bump was way more evident. I was in a wedding during this trimester and was just praying the bridesmaids dress I bought would fit. Thankfully, this was at the beginning of my 2nd trimester and I was able to fit in my dress! The bump also started really showing I would say around week 24.
Maternity Clothes Go-To’s:
Thank JESUS I am pregnant during the fall/winter months. My go-to’s when it hasn’t been blistering HOT have been my chicos basic leggings, soft comfy tops and layers.
I HATE the maternity jeans I bought from Motherhood Maternity. They tell you to buy your normal size, but to me they were extremely uncomfortable. Well into my second trimester some of my pre-baby jeans still fit, so I just kept wearing those until it was time to give it up for the maternity leggings.
I bought Blanqi Maternity leggings. Although, I am not in love with the material, they fit me very well and are comfortable. I just wish the material was thicker. The snag super easy.
I also bought some comfy jersey knit dresses (I CAN NOT STAND PANTS) from Old Navy on Cyber Tuesday for cheap which was awesome.
Fun Things that Happened During my Second Trimester:
- The Astros won the World Series! How exciting! We already got Baby B a little Altuve Doll and a book all about the Astros Baseball team. We hope to create a little fan! It will be something fun and memorable for he and Ryan to do.
- The nursery is pretty much complete. Bennett got his first diapers c/o of my in-laws. I folded all of his little clothes and hung up his outfits that needed hanging. I organized his shoes by size. Tiny clothes are so fun. I hope we actually wear them. I also organized all of his folding clothes by size.
- Ryan and my dad worked really hard on laying down flooring and my father-in-law even got in on the action when they came in for the World Series in Houston. They did a really wonderful job. I’ll post pictures once its all done.
- All of the furniture for the nursery is in place and I just have to add some final touches to the decor.
- I ordered Bennett’s coming home outfit as well as the sign for the hospital door. I got both on Etsy and will show them soon!
- All of my baby shower invites have been sent out. I am having three baby showers. How nice right? Some girls on the boards I read aren’t even having one because they don’t know anyone. So sad. I am having one in my hometown, one in Houston, and one in Austin.
- I read several books.
I feel that Baby Wise really does get a bad wrap for being a “cry it out” type philosophy but I found the book to be VERY informative. They give you charts and checklist to help you know what to look for as baby develops..etc. They don’t really recommend letting your child cry it out. So i’m not sure where this train of thought comes from, but I had always thought it was SO negative until I read it. I really do encourage anyone expecting to read it. It talks a lot about child development and where the different theories came from. I found a lot of it helpful and reassuring. The biggest thing I got: BE FLEXIBLE and CREATE ROUTINE. Which I have already been preaching to my Type A Self about. NOTHING is going to go according to plan and NOTHING will be PERFECT and that is okay. It will all work itself out. The second biggest thing I got was ROUTINE (which I LOVE). All humans seek structure and there are so many misconceptions about babies and what they need/don’t need. I am really glad that I read Baby Wise. I hope that a lot of the tenants work out for us because I do think that they are wise and helpful.
The Wonder Weeks helps clueless moms understand a little about the different growth spurts that babies go through and what baby needs during each of these periods of growth. They even send you notifications of when a potential thundercloud is coming. A thundercloud is a fussy period that is usually followed by development of some kind. I quit reading this one and figure I will try and read it as he is about to go through a growth spurt so I can know what to expect. It just is PACKED with information and was a little overwhelming to me.
This was a very insightful book and helped me to understand a bit more of how boys are VERY different than girls (despite what society wants to shove down our throats) and what to expect at different stages. I will be keeping this one handy.
This book is amazing and its another one that I plan on keeping handy as Bennett grows up. It is filled with personal stories from parents of boys and also is pretty scientific in explaining what boys are going through at various life stages.
We had a pretty low key thanksgiving with my in-laws. I made brisket and crockpot mac-n-cheese, which was AMAZING and my in-laws ordered Luby’s and we heated it up day of. I am not a big Thanksgiving food eater. I don’t really like any of it, so that is why we order out.
We also traditionally go black friday shopping or I guess now, Thanksgiving Day Shopping, and we did go. I was on the fence about whether or not to go but I did end up going and it was not crazy at all this year which was nice. I just kept my hands really clean.
Bennett got a few little toys on sale which was super fun.
Christmas was also super low key. My parents came back in from Hawaii and stayed with us for a few days. This was like the PEAK of my crabbiness so they got the brunt of it. Sorry Mom and Dad, but they handled it like champs.
Most of the presents were obviously baby related; My mom got me some Gownies, which are delivery gowns, and I love them.
Doctors Appointment Recaps:
We had two doctor’s appointments: 16 Week Appointment was just to check and make sure I’m not getting too big and for a healthy heartbeat. At first the nurse had a hard time finding his heartbeat (which made my heart sink a little) but a more experienced nurse came in and found it right away. A strong 145 BPM.
At week 20, I had my Anatomy Scan. This is where they check for proper growth and anything that seems out of the ordinary. The scan went very well and Bennett was perfect. Praise God. It is SO scary and terrifying. I know that there are many parents who don’t get the wonderful news that their little baby is perfect and its heartbreaking for them so I am very thankful for this.
We won’t get to see him again until 33 weeks which seems like SO far away.
December 14, 2017 I had my glucose test and saw my doctor before the Holidays. I PASSED!!!!!!!!!! It wasn’t that bad at all.
After each appointment, I would send updates to my family (Mom, Dad, Aunt JuJu, Sister) and also Ryan’s family. I know this is an exciting time for all and I want to be considerate of everyone and helping them to feel involved.
This trimester was a bit of a whirlwind for me. I did have some energy burst but felt pretty crabby most of the time. Which was horrible.
I just can’t believe in a matter of weeks, I’ll be holding a sweet little baby boy. Time is flying by.
Some things I am looking forward to in the 3rd Trimester Include:
- All my Baby Showers.
- Maternity Photo Shoot